Public health is about helping people to stay healthy, and protecting them from threats to their health. The government wants everyone to be able to make healthier choices, regardless of their circumstances, and to minimise the risk and impact of illness.
The Government runs a comprehensive section of its website – https://www.gov.uk/government/topics/public-health – dedicated to public health. Topics covered include current health issues, such as epidemics.
There are also eight key policies, with details on their implemetation and their relevance for you:
- Giving all children a healthy start in life
- Creating a lasting legacy from the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Reducing drugs misuse and dependence
- Reducing smoking
- Reducing obesity and improving diet
- Helping more people survive cancer
- Planning for health emergencies
- Reducing harmful drinking
In addition, there are also recent announcements; consultations with details on how you can get involved; a list of publications; Detailed guides to key issues; and a statistics section.