Leisure and road cycling ideas. Welcome to Yorkshire have put together a web page of ideas for getting out and about on your bike. From day rides to cycle touring there are plenty of route ideas to get you back on your bike or enjoying a new adventure on the road. Find out more.
Calderdale Ramblers restart walks. Calderdale Ramblers held their first walk since lockdown on Monday 3 August. Groups are currently limited to six walkers. See website for details of upcoming walks and how to book.
Getting tired of your usual walking route? Want more of a challenge? Active Calderdale have produced this easy-to-use walk finder map to help you find new walks and get out in the fresh air. walkingforhealth.org.uk/walkfinder
Calderdale’s parks remain open for people to stay active, but anyone using them must follow the social distancing guidelines at all times.
Calderdale Council leisure and sports facilities will be able to reopen from 25 July according to Government guidelines. Check Active Calderdale’s service disruption page for updates, and do not try to use any of the facilities until they are listed as open.
- Calderdale’s own Tai Chi Tigers have produced some follow-along YouTube videos.
- The NHS ‘One You’ campaign has a range of free apps for keeping mentally and physically well – and they’re all free!
- The NHS ‘One You’ campaign also has a range of entry-level workout videos.
- The NHS have also created these simple exercises for:
- ‘Move it or Lose it’ have several follow-along videos for chair-based and simple activities on their Facebook page. You can tune in to their live broadcast, or watch them whenever you’re ready.
- Living Streets have created a fun #Try20 checklist for you to take out on a 10-minute walk around your local area.
- Riding your bike more. Bikeability have put together a guide to keep you safe whilst cycling during the lockdown.
If you have an activity you want to tell us about, use our Event News form to get in touch.
Here is a listing of exercise and fitness classes for the over 50s and older people, which were running before the coronavirus pandemic took hold. Some are designed specially for more elderly people. Contact the groups direct to find out when they will be restarting.
- PELLON & MOUNT TABOR – High Five
Activities include: Pilates, Singing, Gentle Exercise and more
Contact Details: 07964 713 926 https://pellonhighfivehub.wordpress.com
- SOWERBY BRIDGE & SOWERBY – Reach Out
Activities include: Knit & Natter, Computing, Painting and more
Contact Details: 07710 812680 www.reachoutsowerbybridge.wordpress.com
- SOUTHOWRAM – SOFA
Activities include: Kurling, Dancing, Tai Chi, Chess and more
Contact Details: 01422 346204 www.southowram50.btck.co.uk
- TODMORDEN – OAK
Activities include: Line dancing, Tai Chi, Yoga and more
Contact Details: 07815 824332 Website
- ILLINGWORTH & BRADSHAW – LA Group
Activities include: Crafty Club, Pilates and more
Contact Details: 01422 249070 www.illingworthandbradshaw.btck.co.uk
- HALIFAX – In Touch
Activities include: Tai Chi, Gentle Exercise, Reminiscing group
Contact Details: 01422 364691 www.mauricejaggercentre.org
- CREW Heart Support Group (Cardiac Rehabilitation, Exercise and Walking) provide exercise and fitness classes with highly qualified instructors delivering cardiac rehabilitation style exercise sessions. There are many other social activities for people who have had or are at risk of Cardiovascular Disease, and of course their carers and families. CREW also have a weekly walking group. Contact Details: 07599 080666 www.crewheartsupport.co.uk
- HEARTBEAT The Brighouse Heart Support Group – open to anyone in Calderdale over 18 who has had or is at risk of having any cardiac condition. HEARTBEAT runs Tai Chi, exercise classes, health walks and a wide variety of social events throughout the year.
Membership is £5 per year and classes cost £2 Contact Details: 07475 943686 www.heartbeat.uk.com
- OSCA Foundation – Rediscover the joys of playing football again thanks to a slowed down version of the game. Walking football is a new activity about keeping active and making friends for the 50+ – even on a crisp Winter morning! Contact Details: 07974 077143
- The Better Living Team – Want to lose some weight or just get healthier? Or maybe
you’re just fed up of the Winter blues? The Better Living Team at Calderdale Council offers a range of FREE packages to get you moving the fun way! Contact Details: 01422 230230 or Website