Here are ideas and tips for keeping active.
For a list of over-50-friendly groups, clubs and activities see our In Touch Directory.
NEW Park-Walk Plan – an eight week guide to walking 5K
The group behind Park Run are now helping people get walking with their step-by-step guide.
Strength training for women over 50. Before the year 2000, when a woman went to the gym, she would gravitate to the cardio room either with a friend or by herself. Read our new blog.
Leisure and road cycling ideas. Welcome to Yorkshire have put together a web page of ideas for getting out and about on your bike. From day rides to cycle touring there are plenty of route ideas to get you back on your bike or enjoying a new adventure on the road. Find out more.
Getting tired of your usual walking route? Want more of a challenge? Active Calderdale have produced this easy-to-use walk finder map to help you find new walks and get out in the fresh air. walkingforhealth.org.uk/walkfinder
- Calderdale’s own Tai Chi Tigers have produced some follow-along YouTube videos.
- The NHS ‘One You’ campaign has a range of free apps for keeping mentally and physically well – and they’re all free!
- The NHS ‘One You’ campaign also has a range of entry-level workout videos.
- The NHS have also created these simple exercises for:
- ‘Move it or Lose it’ have several follow-along videos for chair-based and simple activities on their Facebook page. You can tune in to their live broadcast, or watch them whenever you’re ready.
- Living Streets have created a fun #Try20 checklist for you to take out on a 10-minute walk around your local area.
- Riding your bike more. Bikeability have put together a guide to keep you safe whilst cycling during the lockdown.
- The Better Living Team – Want to lose some weight or just get healthier? Or maybe
you’re just fed up of the Winter blues? The Better Living Team at Calderdale Council offers a range of FREE packages to get you moving the fun way! Contact Details: 01422 230230 or Website