Category Archives: Local News

EVENT: Shibden’s Winter Craft Fair

Shibden Hall in the snow

Shibden Hall’s annual winter craft fair returns for 2018 on 17th and 18th November.

The Hall will re-open especially for the weekend and host a selection of local crafts and produce on sale in time for Christmas shopping. The perfect place for present buying or to treat yourself.


SUPPORT: Mobility & Disability Aids

Sometimes finding the products you need to make you life easier can be difficult, particularly if you are elderly or disabled.

NRS Healthcare is a website that carries and amazing range of products, providing thousands of people with mobility equipment and disability aids.

Established in 1947, with 70 years of experience, they’re the official suppliers to the NHS, providing the very best mobility equipment.

They have over 3,500 mobility and disability products to choose from.

All of their products are carefully selected and come with free support and advice from friendly in-house occupational therapy team.

They also offer regular advice newsletters:

AGE: What makes a good life?

Independent Age, the older people’s charity believe all older people should be able to live the lives they aspire to. And now they want to really understand what’s stopping this from being a reality for everyone and they need your help to do so.

they  want to hear from you about what matters most and they’re particularly interested in your experiences and views of:

  • Getting the health and care services you need
  • Having enough money to live on
  • Feeling part of a community

With these three areas in mind, they want to hear what you want. There are no right or wrong answers but you may want to think about the following questions:

  • What do you want more or less of?
  • Is there anything you would like to be done differently?
  • What would make the biggest impact on your life?
  • Are there any obstacles you want to get rid of?

No matter how big or how small, your opinion matters to us. They’d love to hear from you! You can email with your views at or get in touch to arrange a time for them to call you.

And if you don’t consider yourself to be an older person, but you know someone who does, please pass this on to them and encourage them to respond.

REMEMBRANCE 2018: Events in Halifax

On Sunday 11 November, people across the country will commemorate Remembrance Sunday, and events are taking place across Calderdale to mark this important occasion.

2018 marks 100 years since the end of the First World War, and as such, events as part of Remembrance Week this year will have particular significance.

The main focus for commemorations in Halifax will be the Remembrance Sunday parade from Halifax Town Hall to the Cenotaph in Duffy’s Park at Halifax Minster. The parade will leave the Town Hall at 10.20am and the Service of Remembrance and wreath laying will be held at the Cenotaph at 10.45am prior to the service inside the Minster at approximately 11.30am.

As part of special commemorations to mark the centenary of the end of World War One, Calderdale Council is also taking part in the nationwide event, ‘Battle’s Over – WW1 Beacons of Light’.

The Last Post will be played outside Halifax Minster at 6.55pm followed by the lighting of the beacon at Beacon Hill at 7pm as part of a chain of over 1000 beacons around the country, symbolising the light of hope that emerged from the darkness of war. The Town Crier will give the ‘Cry For Peace Around The World’ at 7.05 pm and the Minster bells will then ‘ring for peace’.

In addition, there will be a poppy exhibition in Halifax Town Hall throughout Remembrance Week.

The poppy exhibits have been made by individuals, schools and community groups  from across Calderdale and will be on display at Halifax Town Hall from 9.30am-4.30pm from Monday 5 to Friday 9 November, from 10am-1pm on Saturday 10 November and from 9.30am-4.30pm on Monday 12 November.

There will be Great War Poetry Readings at Halifax Town Hall on Wednesday 7 November at 7pm and a performance by the Hanover Girls’ Choir at the Minster on Saturday 10 November at 7pm.

To find out more about Remembrance Week and the Poppy Appeal, visit

SUPPORT: Domestic Abuse

Drop-in Sessions for Domestic Abuse Support Services: Staying Safe Calderdale offer Drop-in Sessions at the following venues in Calderdale and offer:

  • Domestic abuse support
  • Safety advice,
  • Access to legal advice

Todmorden Community College, Burnley Rd, Todmorden OL14 7BX
(1st & 3rd Thursday every month 10:00am-12:00pm)
02/08/18, 16/08/18, 06/09/18, 20/09/18, 04/10/18 & 18/10/18
Queen’s Road Neighbourhood Centre, Queens Rd, HX1 4NE
Monthly drop-in on 1st Tuesday of the month 10:00am-12:00pm
For more information and details of wider services please contact Staying Safe Calderdale on 01422 323339.

DEMENTIA: Todmorden Cafe

Daisy’s Café is a monthly dementia friendly cafe in Todmorden.

Next – Ukelele Henry will provide the music at Daisy’s Café at Todmorden Health Centre Saturday, October 6th.

The café is on from 11am until 1.30pm and is run by Dementia Friendly Todmorden. Everyone is welcome, and the group will be offering their usual support, advice and information for people affected by dementia along with their families and carers.

As well musical entertainment, the café will be serving soup and sandwiches with coffee and juice for £2.50, or drinks and biscuits for £1.50.

Upcoming Dates: