Talking about a diagnosis of dementia
When you’ve been told you have dementia, there are probably people you want to turn to first or who it’s important to tell. The Alzheimer’s Society have published advice on talking about dementia, including having conversations with children of different age groups. Read the advice.
Dementia support by telephone – Wayfinding appointments available
“Dementia Support” have appointments available with one of their Wayfinding team who can provide advice and support with any question or worries about dementia, including changes in behaviour, financial concerns or support with care. No question is too big or small. Call 01243 888691 or email to book an appointment. Weekly befriending support and Zoom quizzes also available.
Grief And Loss Support Service
The West Yorkshire and Harrogate Health and Care Partnership Grief and Loss Support Service is for anyone suffering any form of grief and loss, or those worried about losing someone, whether this relates to a family member, friend or member of their community.
Practical and emotional support and advice is available from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week via freephone number 0808 1963833, or online chat facility.
The team can offer support and help connect you with organisations local to you, who can offer additional help where needed. Visit https://griefandlosswyh.co.uk/
For tips on managing depression through the coronavirus crisis and beyond, read our health & wellbeing blog.
More health & wellbeing links
- National Health Service – www.nhs.uk | www.england.nhs.uk
Huge amounts of useful information and advice, including plenty on locally available services and facilities.
- NHS England’s Guide to “Healthy Ageing”
A PDF download booklet full of advice that “will help improve the health and general fitness
of people of any age, but it is written to be particularly relevant for people
who are about 70 years or older.” Download (PDF file)
- Age UK Calderdale & Kirklees: Visit Age UK today for help, information & advice or to see how you can donate, volunteer or give support to help more older people love later life. www.ageuk.org.uk/calderdaleandkirklees/
- Arthritis Care, North England: From high quality information and support to empower you to take control of your arthritis. www.arthritiscare.org.uk
- Alzheimer’s Society: A membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. www.alzheimers.org.uk – Local branch – Alzheimer’s Society in Calderdale
- Brunswick Centre: The Brunswick Centre provides sexual health and HIV services across Calderdale and Kirklees. www.thebrunswickcentre.org.uk
- Calderdale Help in Bereavement Service (Chibs) – helping people cope with bereavement. Visit their website www.chibs.org.uk or call them on 0845 0099 220
- Calderdale Carers Project: a charity working to improve the lives of adult carers throughout Calderdale – offering a range of support, including regular support group meetings. www.calderdale-carers.co.uk
- Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust: the body that runs the two main hospitals in Huddersfield and Halifax – Huddersfield Royal Infirmary and Calderdale Royal Hospital – and provides outreach services in the local communities – Website
- Car Parking at Huddersfield & Halifax Hospitals
- CREW Heart Support Group: Cardiac rehabilitation through exercise classes and walking www.crewheartsupport.co.uk I Classes Timetable I Walks Timetable
- Disable Living – a charity which provides impartial information about equipment (assistive technology) and services for disabled adults, children, older people and the professionals who support them. They run an excellent website packed with practical information and a great directory of suppliers – Visit Supplier Directory
- Dogs for the Disabled: working to provide solutions to help people with a wide variety of different disabilities and conditions; from assistance dogs helping children and adults with physical disabilities and families affected by autism, to pet dog autism workshops, and innovative new projects working in schools and residential care settings. www.dogsforthedisabled.org
- Domestic Abuse: Calderdale Council advice for victims: http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/advice/domestic-violence/
- Halifax & District Multiple Sclerosis Society: Local information from the website of the MS Society: www.mssociety.org.uk/near-me/branches/halifax-and-calder-valley-branch
- Healthwatch Calderdale: An national independent consumer champion created to gather and represent the views of the public on health and health services. Healthwatch will play a role at both national and local level and will make sure that the views of the public and people who use services are taken into account. Visit their website for more info: www.healthwatchcalderdale.co.uk
- Home Instead Senior Care: A well established independent UK home care provider, Home Instead Senior Care is part of a worldwide organisation devoted to providing the highest-quality care for older people in the comfort of their own homes. www.homeinstead.co.uk
- Home Start Calderdale Halifax: supports families across the borough who have at least one childunder the age of 5 and have agreed to have a volunteer. www.homestartcalderdale.org.uk
- Independent Age: A long established charity who aim to give older people a voice. They have 1,500 volunteers and provide a range of free services, including advice, campaigning and befriending. Their website has lots of great content: www.independentage.org
- My Ageing Parent – website full of advice, tips and information. myageingparent.com
- Nursing Home Abuse Website – American website, but nonetheless full of useful information and advice on the many aspects of nursing home injury and abuse – it’s a comprehensive free resource for the public to learn more about nursing home abuse and the actions they can take to protect a loved one – View Website. See also, Age UK’s excellent Factsheet (Download) on the subject.
- Park Meals. Providing meals on wheels, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Passion for Support – We are an approved provider for Calderdale and support a variety of adults and older people with physical disabilities, sensory impairments, mild to moderate dementia, learning disabilities, debilitating illnesses and mild to moderate mental health problems. We are able to provide both short and longer-term support.
- Quality Care Commission (CQC) Map of Care Homes. The Quality Care Commission (CQC) has produced a map of inspection ratings for care homes. The map is very easy to use and each care home marked on the map has an accompanying rating and report. You can search by postcode to find services near you.
- Sanctuary Group: manages homes across England and Scotland, providing general rented, sheltered and home ownership accommodation. www.Sanctuary-housing.co.uk
- Staying Well: If loneliness and social isolation are affecting you, Calderdale’s Staying Well service have workers who will help you take the first step out of the door. Loneliness and social isolation are really damaging to health. One of the ways that Staying Well have been helping with this is by introducing people to the hundreds of social and physical activities available in the community through the Staying Well service. Phone: 01422 392767 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Website: www.stayingwellhub.com
- Support & Care After Road Death (SCARD) – offers a free helpline and counselling service to those affected by road death and injury. Helpline 0845 1235542 www.scard.org.uk
- St Augustines Centre and creche: based in Halifax, a community centre for anyone who needs help, advice or support. Based on the Christian faith which respects and values individuals, the Centre welcomes the vulnerable and cares for all, regardless of faith, ethnicity, background or any other factors. www.staugustinescentrehalifax.org.uk
- The Mayfield Trust Outreach Service: An independent charity with an excellent reputation for providing a quality service to children, young people and adults with learning disabilities and other complex needs. www.mayfield-trust.org.uk
- Womens Centre Ltd: a registered charity with a mission to improve the quality of life for women both locally and nationally. With centres in Calderdale and Kirklees, we have nearly 30 years experience of women’s issues and women’s lives. www.womencentre.org.uk