If you think you’ve been scammed, this is what you should do!
Scams are massively under-reported, as is fraud in general. It is estimated that less than five per cent of victims report a scam experience to the authorities.
So if you think you may have been scammed, you should report it straight away to Citizen’s Advice.
Visit the Citizens Advice website for further advice on what to do if you think you have lost money to a scam and how you would report it. You can also contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline direct on 03454 04 05 06.
There are many local and national authorities, organisations and charities that take an active interest in tackling scams. These agencies offer support to help keep people safe from fraud.
- Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or http://www.actionfraud.police.uk
- Citizens Advice on 0300 123 2040 www.citizensadvice.org.uk
- Get Safe Online www.getsafeonline.org
- Financial Fraud Action UK http://www.financialfraudaction.org.uk
- Gov UK www.gov.uk
- Think Jessica www.thinkjessica.com
- Friends Against Scams http://www.friendsagainstscams.org.uk/
- West Yorkshire Trading Standards have more advice and updates on local scams.