There will be a pensioner ‘Advice and Information Fair’ on Friday 2 November, 10:00am-2:00pm at Brighouse Civic Hall, Bradford Road HD6 1RW.
Hosted by Craig Whittaker MP there will 40 different organisations attending including Calderdale Council, Together Housing, Citizens Advice and many more. It will give you a chance to find out what help, support and activities are available if you are retired or approaching retirement.
Calderdale CCG has published an independent report on wheelchair (posture and mobility) services in Calderdale and Kirklees.
Produced by PCAN, a Kirklees-based charity supporting parents and carers of children with additional needs, and commissioned by Calderdale, Greater Huddersfield and North Kirklees CCGs, the report gathers the views of over 450 wheelchair users and their families, schools, community groups and care professionals.
The information gathered in the report will be used to make improvements to the current NHS Posture and Mobility service across these areas, and in developing plans for a new service to be implemented from 1 October 2019.
Read the full report on the Calderdale CCG website
Safespace is a new out-of-hours appointment service in Calderdale, offering support for people in distress during weekend evenings.
The office at 1 King Street, Halifax HX1 1SR is open from 6:00pmon Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, with the latest available appointments at 11:00pm.
The office is opposite Woolshops car park towards Halifax Minster.
You can contact Safespace
- by telephone on 01422 345154
- by text on 07388 990227
- via Facebook (search “SafeSpace Healthy Minds Calderdale”)
The team will take some basic details from you and offer one or more options:
- Face-to-face appointment – you’ll be given a time to arrive and a worker will be ready to see you
- Group support in a friendly, safe & supportive environment
- Telephone support – if you can’t come to the service, a worker will call you back
- Online support via Facebook private messaging
You can have up to an hour with a worker – whichever way you’ve contacted us – to talk through what’s happening for you and agree next steps. If you need further help and support, the team will agree onward referrals and keep in touch with you. After one-to-one support, if you have come in person to Safespace, you can stay for a while until you feel ready to go home.
Help With Universal Credit from Calderdale Council
Calderdale Council are reminding people that they can find support with applying for Universal Credit by visiting a Customer First office.
Important note: Complete an online self-referral form, if you have already claimed Universal Credit and you need help using the account or with budgeting.
An advisor will contact you to arrange an appointment.
The Council can offer support with;
- How to use your Universal Credit account, which will help your claim to run successfully
- to set up an email address
- by showing you the council’s website and other helpful sites
- by referring you for further help through organised IT courses
- how to open a bank account
- how to reduce your energy costs
- advice on Council Tax, Council Tax Reduction, Housing and any rent arrears that you may have
Healthy minds is Calderdale’s local mental health charity, led by people who have personal experience of emotional distress.
They believe that mental health is one aspect of a person’s life, not what defines them.
With kindness and respect, together they create and provide opportunities for people to understand and build on their strengths to better achieve what they want from their lives.
Visit their website: http://www.healthymindscalderdale.co.uk/
Join them for their 10th Anniversary Sponsored Walk!