- Address: 36 Clare Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2HX
- Facebook: @SightlossCalderdale
- Twitter: @SightlossCalderdale
- Contact email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone Number: Pete Hoey, Chief Officer on 01422 352383.
About Halifax Society for the Blind
We provide a Sight Loss Resource Centre in Halifax where you can browse a wide range of sight loss equipment and get information and advice from our trained Sight Support Advisors. We also run a range of activities for people with sight loss including social group meetings and groups targeted at specific interests e.g. Bowling, Working Age group and a Teen’s group.
One-off events are also held such as meals out, day trips, Christmas parties for adults and children.
Face-to-face Support Groups
A friendly gathering of people with sight loss, friends and family for social chat, information and games.
Mondays at 12.30 to 2.30pm at the Brighouse Rest Centre.
Wednesdays at 2.15 to 3.45pm (1st, 2nd and 3rd Wednesdays only) at the Maurice Jagger Centre, Halifax.
Tuesday Zoomers at 11am to 12pm. Different activities each week including guest speakers, quizzes, information, chat and workshops
Thursday Fun & Games by Zoom from 11.30am to 12.30pm. Quizzes and games, keep yourself fit for fun. Bring your own cuppa!
To join our Zoom sessions, click this link https://zoom.us/j/9683947679 or on any phone, dial 0131 460 1196, then enter the meeting ID 968 394 7679, then press hash #. If asked for a participant ID just press hash # again and you’re in!
- Sight loss support and information service provided via telephone by our Sight Support Advisors. Items from our Resource Centre can be purchased and delivered by post. Any items not in stock can be ordered and sent direct from our suppliers.
- AVIATORS scheme (short term loan of specially adapted phones and tablets with remote training provided and the option to buy the device at a reduced price after finishing the training)
- Friends on the Phone service (weekly chats from a volunteer to have a chat and relieve isolation)
Volunteering for the Society
There are plenty of volunteering opportunities available currently. These opportunities all take place from the comfort and safety of your own home during the current situation with training provided. Please contact us for further details.
The Halifax Society for the Blind is a registered Charity in England and Wales.
Registered number: 224258
Read the latest newsletter – Lookout-Winter-2022