- Address: 36 Clare Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2HX
- Website: www.halifaxblindsociety.org.uk
- Facebook: Search for “Halifax Society for the Blind”
- Twitter: @SightlossCalderdale
- Contact email: email@example.com
- Contact Phone Number: Pete Hoey, Chief Officer on 01422 352383.
About Halifax Society for the Blind
We provide a Sight Loss Resource Centre in Halifax where you can browse a wide range of sight loss equipment and get information and advice from our trained Sight Support Advisors. We also run a range of activities for people with sight loss including social group meetings and groups targeted at specific interests e.g. Bowling, Working Age group and a Teen’s group.
One-off events are also held such as meals out, day trips, Christmas parties for adults and children.
Halifax Society for the Blind – Current Activities
- Telephone based Social Groups on various themes (Coffee & Chat, Fun and Games, Wellbeing, ‘Chairobics’, Literature)
- Weekly Zoom group (quiz sessions, social chat sessions, guest speakers, virtual tours, technology sessions)
- Sight loss support and information service provided via telephone by our Sight Support Advisors. Items from our Resource Centre can be purchased and delivered by post. Any items not in stock can be ordered and sent direct from our suppliers.
- AVIATORS scheme (short term loan of specially adapted phones and tablets with remote training provided and the option to buy the device at a reduced price after finishing the training)
- Friends on the Phone service (weekly chats from a volunteer to have a chat and relieve isolation)
- There are plenty of volunteering opportunities available currently. These opportunities all take place from the comfort and safety of your own home during the current situation with training provided. Please contact us for further details.
Halifax Society for the Blind – How To Get Involved
We are not charging fees at the moment. Some face-to-face groups will have a small fee when we restart.
Halifax Society for the Blind – plans post-Covid
Plans will be announced following a consultation with current users – and we welcome thoughts.
The Halifax Society for the Blind is a registered Charity in England and Wales.
Registered number: 224258