Here you will find a list of Calderdale groups, societies and community associations which offer activities for older people and the over 50’s.
To find out what is planned, use the contact details below.
If you have a group or society you want to tell us about, use our Event News form to get in touch.
Virtually Well Sung is a new online community singing group that starts on the 15th of January for 8 weeks each Friday from 1.30pm – 2.30pm.
All are welcome. No auditions, no previous experience needed and you don’t need to read music! It’s a fun and informal virtual gathering you can join from the comfort of your home.
Find out how singing can help your general wellbeing!
Memory Lane Cafes are back from 1 December and following government guidance in operating safely.
Changes to the way they operate include booking in advance (to limit numbers), a clean down of the meeting rooms and all volunteers will be wearing masks and gloves for catering. Social distancing will be in place but refreshments and games will be available. All visitors must wear masks except when eating or drinking.
Until the cafe’s restart, they are continuing their weekly Zoom musical get-together with Tony Austin on Tuesday afternoons.
During lockdown, they have been lending out our stock of games, books, jigsaws etc for members to use at home during lockdown.
For more information on the cafes, just call June on 01422 706373 or 07920 549131 or see their website.
Music Makes You, a co-operative of established and professional music tutors in the Calder Valley, are excited to offer a new range of online workshops in singing, guitar, ukulele or piano and keyboard.
They aim to provide top quality, contemporary and reliable music lessons to you, and to the wider community of Calderdale. All levels of ability are welcome. The sessions will take place during evenings and/or weekends. All you need is access to Zoom, a spare hour, a voice or an instrument. This project is funded by Hebden Royd Town Council. A voluntary contribution of £5, if you are able to, would be appreciated.
CREW Heart Support Group have restarted their walks but limited numbers to six to comply with restrictions. These are great, sociable walks for people wishing to improve their health to reduce the risks of circulatory and heart disease.
FREE online live exercise sessions continue as well, run by our specialist level 4 Rehab Instructors. All you have you do is visit our website and book through the booking system.
Singing for the Brain sessions from The Alzheimer’s Society run weekly on Wednesdays from 4pm to 5pm. The sessions use Zoom but can also be accessed by telephone if individuals do not have access to or are comfortable with the relevant technology/internet. Find out more and see a live singing event
Tai Chi Tigers we have been working on a new video suitable for all levels of health and fitness – both standing and seated – to help Calm the Mind & give you a Strong Body. Exercises in this video show in detail how you can enjoy a Calm Mind and Strong Body. Beginners or experienced practitioners alike.
The exercises will help achieve better balance both physically and mentally, experience more co-ordination, have a greater clarity of thought, feel more content, and have more energy, all with daily practice.
www.taichitigers.co.uk Or tel: 078100 94 395
Healthy Minds workshops
These online workshops from Calderdale’s Staying Well Hub will help improve mental health and promote feelings of wellness. You can try a variety of fun exercises including crafting for free. Find out more and book here.
List of Calderdale groups & societies
- Halifax Aachen Society The purpose of the Society is to promote and maintain friendship between Halifax and Aachen by fostering exchanges, links and projects to examine issues of mutual interest. www.halifaxaachensociety.co.uk
- Halifax Antiquarian Society Website
- Halifax Concert Band www.halifaxconcertband.co.uk
- Halifax & District Irish Society www.halifaxirishsociety.org.uk
- Hebden Bridge Camera Club – always open to new members of all ages: www.hebdenbridgecc.co.uk
- Hipperholme & Lightcliffe Art Society www.handlas.co.uk
- Phoenix Radio: volunteer run local radio station for Calderdale – www.phoenixfm.co.uk/
- Rotary Club (Halifax) www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/homepage.php?ClubID=197
- Todmorden Amateur Operatic And Dramatic Society www.todhip.org
- Todmorden Orchestra www.todmordenorchestra.org.uk
- Tuesday 2 o’clock club. Based at Stones Cricket Club in Ripponden and meeting at least monthly between 2 and 4pm, the group aims to help people who are suffering from loneliness and isolation. https://cffc.co.uk/tuesday-2-oclock-club/
- University of the Third Age, Todmorden. Over 400 members run 30 groups ranging from Philosophy to Scrabble, French to Table Tennis. The monthly meeting is third Thursday of the month at 13:45, Central Methodists in Todmorden, is regularly attended by over 100 people and always has an invited speaker, tea and good company. www.u3atod.org.uk