Guides: Paying for care at home & paying for care in a care home

Many of us will need some kind of social care in our lives, but most people know very little about how to pay for it. Social care can involve help with everyday tasks, such as washing, dressing and eating. It might be provided at home or in a residential care home.

The excellent website run by Independent Age has a huge range of guides and they have just updated their information on paying for care at home and in a care home. Below is the introduction to this information, plus links to the relevant guides:

Even if you qualify for some funding from your council, you’re still likely to end up paying for at least some of your care. Our updated advice pages Paying for Care | Independent age and brand new guides cover ways to pay for social care across England, Scotland and Wales.

Visit our Paying for care advice pages

Paying care home fees 

If you’re thinking of moving to a care home, how you will pay your care home fees is one of the main things you’ll need to consider. To get financial support from the council, you’ll first need to have a care needs assessment. A social care professional will talk to you about your support needs and work out whether you qualify for council help.

Our guides explain what financial support is available to cover care home fees, and how to access it.

Social care is slightly different in Scotland than in England and Wales, so make sure to look at the correct guide for your region.

Download your free guide: Paying care home fees in ScotlandDownload your free guide: Paying care home fees in England and Wales

Paying for care services at home

When you need care at home, it’s important to consider your options carefully and review them regularly. Whether or not you will be contributing to the cost of your care, you should think about what you can afford in the long term.

Our guides explain care needs assessments and how they could help you, ways to pay and what to do if your situation changes.

Again, the system for paying for care at home is different in Scotland to England and Wales.

Download your free guide: Paying for care at home in England and WalesDownload your free guide: Paying for care at home in ScotlandFor more information about any of the above, you can contact our Helpline team on freephone 0800 319 6789, email: or via the web chat. Our Helpline also offers a translation service if you need this.

%d bloggers like this: