Independent Age – Financial Support Newsletter

This is the financial support email from Independent Age, the older persons’ charity:

If you’re struggling with the cost of living crisis, it’s more important than ever to find out if you qualify for any financial help. And if you’ve applied for support but you were turned down, it’s equally important to know what you can do if you disagree with a benefit decision. You can call our friendly Helpline team on 0800 319 6789 to arrange a free benefits check or try our online benefit calculator.

Make sure you’re not one of the people who misses out on money they’re due.

Try our benefit calculator

Council Tax – ways to reduce your bill

Did you know that there are various ways you might qualify for help with your Council Tax bill?

Council Tax Support can help you if you’re on a low income and responsible for paying the Council Tax on your home. There are also other ways you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill. For example, you may get a discount if you live alone or you’re getting Pension Credit, or you’re living with someone who has a severe mental health condition such as dementia.

If you’re wondering how you might be able to reduce your Council Tax bill, visit our website Help with your Council Tax | Independent Age for more information. Or get a free copy of our Council Tax guide below.

This guide contains valuable information about how Council Tax works, discounts, exemptions, Council Tax support and how to apply. Get your free Council Tax guide

Pension Credit

If you’re over State Pension age, you could qualify for Pension Credit.

Pension Credit gives you extra money to top-up your pension income and help with living costs if you’re on a low income. Even if you only qualify for a small amount, it can also unlock other entitlements, such as help with housing costs and Council Tax, cold weather payments and help with NHS costs.

Lots of people who qualify for Pension Credit aren’t claiming it, so it’s worth checking if you can get it.

To find out more, visit our website Pension Credit advice | Independent Age. Or get a free copy of our Pension Credit guide below. Get your free Pension Credit guide

What to do if you’re not happy with a benefit decision

When you apply for a benefit, you’ll get a decision letter. If the benefit office has refused your claim, they should explain the reasons for this in the letter.

If you disagree with the decision or you think it’s wrong, it may be worth asking for this to be looked at again. It may seem daunting to challenge a decision, but it’s important to know there is support available if you need it.

Download our What to do if you disagree with a benefit decision factsheet for more information. This factsheet explains what you need to do and how you can get support to challenge a benefit decision.

More Help

You can also contact our Helpline team on 0800 319 6789 to arrange to speak to an adviser for more information/ advice about any of the above as well as other benefits, or to order our free advice guides.

%d bloggers like this: