Details – What You Can Expect
- While parts of the tier system will be tougher, the 22:00 GMT closing time for pubs and restaurants will be relaxed, alongside gyms and shops reopening.
- Mass Covid-19 testing will be introduced in all tier-3 areas
- Testing will also be rolled out for care home visitors across England from next month – with every care home resident able to have two visitors tested twice a week. It means people who live in care homes will be able to hug relatives by the end of the year, the government has said.
- Meanwhile, the ban on outdoor grassroots sport is also set to be lifted.
- More areas are set to be placed in the higher tiers – high risk or very high risk – after lockdown.
- Details of which tier every region of England will be put into are expected on Thursday 26 November
- Gyms and non-essential shops are expected to reopen in all areas.
- Pubs in tier three will only be open for takeaway – while those in tier two must serve substantial meals, even to outdoor customers.
Detailed plans for Christmas restrictions are expected to be announced later in the week, with some easing of restrictions on meeting people expected to be announced for the festive period.