There’s a lot of information out there on staying fit and healthy and it can be confusing to know which advice to follow. Our lives are busy and it’s sometimes all too easy to get out of the habit of exercise. Below are some tips from the NHS and Calderdale Council’s Sports Dept that hopefully make it easier for you to make time to look after yourself…
- Set a time for physical activity and stick to it. You’re more likely to find time to be active if you do it at the same time and on the same days each week. With five sites across Calderdale, this should make it easier for you to choose where’s best for you to exercise
- Split activity up throughout the day – you can achieve your target in bouts of 10 minutes or more. Try these 10-minute workouts.
- Take up running – if you’re just starting out, try our popular Couch to 5K running plan. There are lots of options to help you run and it’s an activity you can do by yourself or with others. We have plenty of treadmills at all our sites or if you prefer to run with a group, join a running club or try Parkrun. There are three Parkruns in Calderdale at Halifax, Brighouse and Todmorden
- Exercise during your lunch break. If you are near one of our sites, pop down to the gym, play a game of badminton or squash or come for a swim
- Cycle or walk part, if not all, of your journey to work. Get off the bus one stop before your destination. To help increase fitness for cycling, why not join in one of our studio cycling classes or use the exercise bikes at our gyms?
- Get your mates involved. You’re more likely to keep active if you have fun and other people to enjoy yourself with. Is there someone who you could exercise with at lunchtimes or after work?
- We have a range of fitness classes for all abilities and fitness levels. You can pay per session or if you join as a member these classes are included as part of your package
Our flexible membership packages provide excellent value for money giving you access to gyms, pools, fitness classes, squash and more across our sites. Find out more at https://www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/sports-and-fitness/memberships