Debt is a worrying and often stressful issue, particularly in later life when earnings can be limited. The following organisations can offer debt advice:
- Age UK – your local Age UK may offer debt advice or be able to direct you to somewhere nearby that can.
- Business Debtline – offers telephone advice to self-employed people. Call 0800 197 6026 Monday to Friday: 9am – 8pm
- Citizens Advice – offers help via home visits, telephone or email.
- Citizens Advice Consumer Service – provides telephone and online advice on consumer issues.
- National Debtline – provides telephone and email advice. Call 0808 808 4000
- Payplan – provides telephone advice and can help you set up a debt management plan.
- Shelter – provides advice around housing and homelessness, including managing debt, paying rent or mortgage arrears, and dealing with possible eviction or repossession.
- Stepchange – provides telephone advice and has an online Debt Remedy tool that can work out the extent of your debt and give a personal action plan.