Calderdale Forum 50 Plus is supporting the 2016/17 Stay Well This Winter campaign.
The Stay Well This Winter campaign is a joint initiative from NHS England and Public Health England, to help people with long-term health conditions and those over 65 to be ready for the colder season and to seek immediate advice and help from a pharmacist as soon as they feel unwell, before their condition gets more serious.
Winter can be seriously bad for the health of these people, increasing the risk of blood pressure, heart attacks and strokes. There are a number of things you can do to prepare against the cold weather:
- At the first sign of a cough or cold, get immediate advice from your pharmacist before it gets more serious
- Speak to your pharmacist about medicines you should have in stock over winter
- It is important to keep warm in winter, so heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F), if you can, you might prefer your living room to be slightly warmer
- It’s still not too late, if you are eligible make sure you get your free flu jab
- And remember to keep an eye out for elderly relatives and neighbours. Supporting them in the cold weather can help them stay well this winter.
The Stay Well This Winter campaign can help you and your family prepare for winter. Visit www.nhs.uk/staywell for more information.