We’ve all had calls for PPI, accident claims, computer virus, double glazing – here’s how to reduce the number of calls received.
- Go ex directory.
- Don’t give out your telephone number unnecessarily.
- Register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) on 0345 070 0707 or www.tpsonline.org.uk. This is free and should reduce the amount of UK marketing calls.
- Opt out of third party marketing on contracts / order forms – make sure to read the tick box carefully. If you’ve consented to receive marketing from a specific company, the organisation can call you even if registered with TPS.
- If registered with TPS and continue to receive calls, report the company to TPS.
- Check if call blocking facilities are available from your telephone provider.
- Consider buying a call blocker which allows you to block nuisance callers. They can be programmed to block international calls and withheld numbers. The devices can be purchased from high street stores.
- Be wary of anyone cold calling trying to sell you a call blocker – this could be a scam.