CARE SERVICES: Calderdale Info

If you need information or advice about adults health and social care in Calderdale, your first point of contact is the council’s Gateway to Care service. Trained advisors are able to give the information and support that you need.

Occasionally, you may need the help of specialist advisors or a social worker. Gateway to Care will be able to put you in touch with the right people.

Contact Gateway to Care.

Gateway to Care provides one number to call for all your social care needs and some health concerns.

Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.45 am to 5.30 pm; Friday 8.45 am to 5.00 pm
Telephone 01422 393000
Textphone 01422 393398 (please note: the special equipment on this number only works for people with a hearing impairment calling into Gateway to Care using a Textphone)
By post: Adults, Health and Social Care, 1 Park Road Halifax HX1 2TU

More Information

Age UK have published a very informative leaflet called A Practical Guide to Healthy Ageing [PDF file 1064KB] which contains advice to help improve the health and general fitness of people of any age, but written particularly for people who are about 70 years or older.

Eligibility for support: For the more complex needs, you will probably require an assessment of your situation: this includes whether you may need social care services for your own needs, or to help support you if you are caring for someone else.

What is an assessment? An assessment is simply a discussion with you so that you can tell us about any difficulties you may be having in looking after yourself or in remaining independent in the community. We want to hear your views on how you are managing, what you can and cannot do and what help you feel you need.

If you need an assessment, contact Gateway to Care (see above). The level of support on offer at the end of the assessment process is based on “eligibility criteria”. The criteria look at levels of need, and set out by the Care Act 2014 to ensure that there is consistent, clear and fair access to social care services across the country. Further information about eligibility to services under the Care Act 204 is available here.

If you require any additional information or would like an assessment of needs, Calderdale Council’s advisors will be pleased to help you. Contact Gateway to Care (see above).