FLOODS: Latest Information

Here’s a collection of content from the Calderdale Council website, offering a range of information and advice concerning flooding. View their most up to date information at www.calderdale.gov.uk

What financial support is available for residents? For residents, Council Tax payments will be suspended for up to six months for homes that are severely affected. The Council has also immediately agreed to make a £500 hardship payment to householders who have been severely affected by the floods. The Council will contact households who can qualify for the payment and will try and use the Council tax system in the first instance to pay this, with payments hopefully implemented early next week. Further details about the Council Tax suspension and the hardship payment will be available early next week.

What financial support is available for businesses? Business rates will be suspended for up to six months for affected businesses, and the Council is exploring a range of grants and loans to help get businesses up and running. There will be detailed discussions with affected businesses about what would work best.  There will also be funding available to help businesses with immediate repairs. The Council is looking at wider support that businesses might need and any affected businesses are encouraged to contact our business team on 01422 392222 or business@calderdale.gov.uk so that we understand all possible issues.

Where can I report instances of flooding or damage caused by flooding? The Contact Centre will remain open for calls relating to flooding between 9am and 5pm on Sunday on 01422 288001.  Our out of hours phone line will be available for emergencies outside these times on 01422 288000.

How can I contact the Council’s Adults, Health and Social Care?
Gateway to Care is your first point of contact for adult social care.

Is it safe to travel? Most roads are now passable but please continue to take extra care when travelling around the area. Please plan ahead and check your journey before you travel as diversions are in place.  During  the rush hour allow extra time for your journey. If you can travel by train, it advised to do so as this will be the quickest way to travel. Don’t try and get to Elland from Brighouse via Elland Bridge. There is access from Brighouse via Elland Road / Park Road onto the bypass but not into Elland. The diversion to Elland is via the bypass / Stainland Road and into West Vale.  FOR RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC, please use diversions via Ainley Top and Rastrick and allow extra time for your journey. The Canal and Rivers Trust have erected a temporary footbridge over the canal at Elland Lock (opposite the Park Wood Crematorium, Park Road, Elland). This will be widened on Monday to accommodate more foot traffic.

Which roads are closed? Here is a list of current road and bridge closures in the borough. Please see social media and check back on the website for updates. Again, we strongly advise that you plan your route and check before you travel from Monday onwards as the traffic will intensify following the end of the winter break – particularly at rush hours. Again, if you can travel by train, we suggest you do so.

  • Elland Bridge, Elland – closed for the foreseeable future due to structural damage. Police will be there during the morning rush hour on Monday 4 January to help direct people. Diversions are in place – there is access from Brighouse via Elland Road / Park Road onto the bypass but not into Elland – please find an alternative route. The diversion to Elland is via the bypass / Stainland Road and into West Vale.
  • Mayroyd Lane, Hebden Bridge – closed for safety reasons due to the condition of the lane following the flooding. Residents can use Palace House Road as the alternative.
  • Midgley Road, Mytholmroyd – closed due to a collapsed wall.
  • North Dean Road, Copley – closed due to the collapse of Copley Bridge.
  • Scout Road, Mytholmroyd – closed due to a landslide.
  • Footbridge between Bridge Lanes to Hebden Vale Centre, Hebden Bridge – footbridge closed.
  • Towpath East of Woodhouse Road, Todmorden – canal towpath closed near Woodhouse Road.
  • Footbridge between Hollins Mill Lane and playing fields, Sowerby Bridge – footbridge closed.

Please note that in some of the areas affected by the flooding, temporary traffic lights are in place which is causing some delays. Please be patient or if possible avoid these areas.

Can I volunteer to help? We’re very grateful for all offers of help, but we need to make sure the response is coordinated safely so resources can be used where they are needed the most. The priority so far has been in dealing with the emergency situation, but as that improves we are turning our attention to the recovery effort and our fantastic volunteer support. You can register to offer support and services(link is external) (link is external) in Calderdale to those affected by the floods or go to our drop in points: Ebenezer Centre Halifax, Sowerby Bridge Fitness Centre, Best Practice Training Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge Town Hall and Todmorden Town Hall.

I’d like to donate, what type of things are needed? The situation in severe instances of flooding changes quickly, which makes money the best type of donation as it can be used wherever and however it’s required. The Community Foundation for Calderdale has set up a Just Giving page.

Clean up materials should be taken to our drop in points: Ebenezer Centre Halifax, Sowerby Bridge Fitness Centre, Best Practice Training Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge Town Hall and Todmorden Town Hall. Hubs do have a surplus of clothing so no more donations are needed but please check with your local hub to see if they need other items.

When will my power come back on? Northern Power Grid has restored power to homes and businesses across the region. There may, however, be isolated cases where power is still off due to damaged meters etc so please don’t attempt to turn your power on until you’re sure it can be done safely.

Where can I dispose of flood damaged equipment? All sites are open as normal – see our website for more information on opening times. Flood damaged goods will be accepted at tips across Calderdale free of charge, however larger vehicles will need to go to the site in Halifax as the smaller sites have limited access. If you can’t get to the centres then a number of skips are at the worst affected areas that people can use to dispose of damaged equipment. We are aware that these are filling up so teams will be out emptying and replacing these, as well as sourcing more skips.

The Council is removing bulky items, including white goods and scrap metal, from the homes of flood-affected residents free of charge; please call the Contact Centre on 01422 288001 to request this. If you have any debris for collection please leave on grassed areas not in the road or path.

What should I do regarding my insurance claim? Contact your insurer as soon as possible. Try not to move damaged items, as your insurer may need to inspect them. If possible take photos or video damaged property to give to your insurer.

What can the Council supply to help residents with the clean up? There are a limited supply of resources at our drop in centres at Ebenezer Centre Halifax, Sowerby Bridge Fitness Centre, Best Practice Training Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge Town Hall and Todmorden Town Hall. You can donate cleaning materials such as scrubbing brushes, mops/buckets and disinfectant at these centres.

Are bin collections running as normal? Where possible we will keep to the rounds as advertised on the website. Recycling collections are running up to 2 days behind schedule as a result of the flooding.

Where can I get water? Please contact Yorkshire Water with any enquiries relating to access to water.

Will we be charged for pumping water? The Fire Service is not charging for pumping people’s houses as a major incident has been declared. Requests for pumping from the public should be phoned through to the contact centre or 999.

How do I find out about further flood alerts?
Register with the Environment Agency (link) to find out about flood alerts in your area.

Flood warnings and information

Roads and travel


%d bloggers like this: